Stories of Places
A story of a strange things going on, one night, at Marple Station......
In 1908 the station had extensive station buildings - the Midland waiting room having upholstered seats and a coal fire in an attractive fireplace for cold winter days. The change from a main line to suburban station had begun with an increase in residential traffic to Manchester, compared with ten years previously. This spurred on the building of new houses in the area, with fine residences for the well-off Manchester commuters being developed in Ley Hey Park, near the station, and other areas.
High Peak reporter: June 14th 1924
A Long Lived Mellor Family
Five brothers whose ages aggregate 373 years.
The total ages of five brothers, natives of Mellor, Derbyshire, namely Stephen, Alfred, Edwin, Abraham and Jesse Marshall amount to an aggregate of 373 years. They are the surviving sons of the late Mr Samuel Marshall who died in 1902 aged 91 years. He served his time as a hatter and worked at Ridgway’s at Smithy Lane, Chatterton Lane, Ludworth.
In 1993 an exhibition was held in the upstairs hall of the old Sunday School building on Town Street, now flats on the upper floors, with doctor's and dentist’s surgeries on the ground floor, to celebrate the rebuilding of the river wall. The river wall had collapsed in 1991, leading to closure of Town Street for a year.
For centuries the area east of the River Goyt now called Marple Bridge was part of the township of Ludworth in the Hundred of the High Peak in the county of Derbyshire.
(left: Town Street repairs in progress during 1992. From Marple Local History Society Archives.)