Stories of Places
A story that comes courtesy of Marple Historical Society.The Marple in Pennsylvania, which had a population in 2010 of 23,478,and area of 10.5 square miles whilst Marple’s, Cheshire population in 2011 was 23,686 in an area of 11 square miles, almost identical twins ! Marple Township, Delaware County, originates from 1684, on the 29th September 1863; Quakers had settled the county Delaware after sailing along the River Delaware, in the ship Endeavor.
The following article is taken from the Spring-Summer issue of the Marple Historical Society newsletter, not to be confused with the Marple Local History Society.Special thanks to Rich Paul of Marple Historical Society.
The catalyst for 'Tale of Two Torrents' article, in the archive story section, was a flyer from 1911, donated to the archive. Printed on glossy paper, the photographic block used in its production is quoted as being made by Highams Ltd., Hyde. A piece of ephemera, ephemera can be be defined as ''the minor transient documents of everyday life'. It can also be described as material which is not intended to survive its immediate purpose or which exists for only a short time. The origin of this flyer is not known, a present for Christmas 1911, a review of the year included in a paper ?
A tale of local deluges, separated by eighty years, and the damage that they caused.
Both stories are drawn from contemporary newspaper reports of their day. The first from the Stockport Advertiser of 1911, describes a flood in the May of that year, in Compstall and beyond.
Whilst the second, from the Stockport Express of December 24th 1991, reports on the collapse of the retaining wall in Town Street, Marple Bridge
Great Mill Fire, Marple
A Gigantic Blaze. The Building Completely Gutted. A dismal Outlook for the Villagers.
Newspaper article from Cheshire County News 19th November 1892.
Early on Thursday morning a most destructive fire broke out in the Mellor Mill, Marple by which in about two hours the main structure was entirely destroyed. Spinning and doubling were carried on at the mill, which afforded employment for about 200 workpeople.
The premises were six storeys high with side wings filled with new machinery which was only partially insured. The mill was built in 1790 and was of historic interest. Shortly after two o?clock in the morning a cottager who resides in close proximity to the mill noticed from her bedroom window flames issuing from the centre of the factory. She immediately ran to the village and raised the alarm. The shouts of "Fire" were soon resounding throughout the whole neighbourhood, and an hour later there was a general stampede of the villagers en route for the scene of the conflagration. On their arrival at the mill a sight, terrible in its magnificence, met their view.
This article was written by Mark Whittaker in 2000. The Society would like to thank Mark for his kind permission to 'reprint' his work here.
It is taken from the History & Heritage page on...
Without fanfare or celebration a major anniversary has quietly been reached in Marple this Millennium year. A milestone that would have most towns hanging out the flags and bunting has barely been acknowledged in the local community. The achievement is all the more significant because it would not have happened without strong public support many years ago, so it is ironic that it appears to be passing almost unnoticed now.