A few months ago, Ann Hearle generously donated her collection of local postcards to the Society. Collected over 40 years, there are more than 1000 cards, most of which date from the early 1900s. Some are postmarked but many are not and, similarly, some have messages but others don’t. Postcards were very popular in the early 1900s and Ann’s collection includes examples from more than 13 publishers including Kennerley Photographer from Marple Bridge and Raphael Tuck & Sons, Art Publishers to their majesties The King and Queen (Edward & Alexandra) who were based in the City of London. Postcards were sold through local shops and often included the shop name e.g. T W Waterhouse of the Post Office, Rowarth and M H Moore Stationers, Marple.
Many images are already shared on the Virtual Tour of Marple which Mark Whittaker runs via the Marple website, but many are new to us. The Virtual Tour can also be accessed from the MLHS website. Here are some postcards, which I hope you find interesting. Thanks to our President, Ann Hearle.
(Hilary Atkinson, August 2019)
The area between the Jolly Sailor and the Bowling Green pubs was known as Norbury Smithy for centuries. It was the biggest hamlet in the area before the present town centre developed when Hollins Mill was built. This image, dating from the 1920s, shows the Bowling Green pub in the distance, just beyond the smithy. Both buildings have been replaced - the smithy by apartments and the pub by houses including a terrace of three which front onto Stockport Road.
Postcards pt.7 - March 2020
Although officially in Offerton, many people consider this house to be the gateway to Marple. Cottage industries in the area were widespread and in the 19th century hand-loom silk weavers worked in the attic. Working there was made more practical by the light from the seventeen tiny windows. A fire in 1944 gutted most of the building, leaving it as you see it today.
Chadkirk Brow, Romiley
Like me, you may have thought that Chadkirk Brow, Romiley is an old name for the road from Otterspool Bridge to Hatherlow and that this house was demolished long ago…WRONG. The house is on Vale Road, beyond Chadkirk Chapel and Chadkirk farm. The road, no longer open to vehicles, climbs steeply up to Burymewick and the house is located just before the road passes under the small canal aqueduct. This was the old road from Otterspool Bridge to the centre of Romiley.
The house looks as though it could have been a tollhouse but there is no evidence to prove this. Because of its peculiar shape, it has had some creative nicknames over the years, including the Mouse Trap, the Pepperpot and the Concertina House. Its name is Kirkwood Cottage.
Sportsman’s Arms, Strines
The turnpike road from Marple to New Mills (Strines Road) opened in 1801. In 1805, seeing a business opportunity, John Braddock bought a plot of land built the Sportman’s Arms and was granted his first alehouse licence.
It was ideally situated for workers from Strines Print Works, boatmen travelling along the Peak Forest Canal and passing road traffic; no wonder it had its own brew house and stables. In 1821, Joel Sidebottom became landlord but kept his ‘day job’ as a flour dealer. It was an important pub with an influential clientele as evidenced by the major auctions of land farms that were regularly held there.
Postmarked 1910, Marple Station Ambulance Class. We do not know their names or what work they did. 4 years later, some of these men would enlist to fight for ‘king and country’. At the height of Marple Station’s operation, the Station Master was in charge of a staff of 40, with 15 men on duty at any one time. Each day up to 250 trains were using the line. About half stopped at the station and it was possible to catch direct trains from Marple to London Marylebone or St Pancras. Link to railway photos. If you are interested in learning more, Society member, Neil Mullineux has written a book: Marple and the railways price £4. link to publications page
Mrs Edwards of Stonehurst with her daughters and friends
A postcard of the Edwards family from Chorlton–cum Medlock photographed several years before WW1 in the garden of Hollins House, (now the Memorial Park) the home of the Carver family who owned Hollins Mill. The census returns describe Thomas Edwards as a cotton manufacturer and calico printer. Sometime after the 1911 census, Thomas and Mary and their daughters Mary (b1894) and Edith (b1895) moved to Stonehurst on Hibbert Lane.