Marple Local History Society

Marple, Marple Bridge, Mellor, Compstall, Strines, Hawk Green, Rose Hill, High Lane.

IsomStrines PrintworksThe Strines Journal

Joel Wainwright was a protege of Joseph Sidebotham, a senior partner and significant man in the printworks development. Joel worked his way up to become accountant and then manager of the Works serving from 1849 to 1878. From 1852 he was responsible, along with J M Gregory for producing a handwritten journal containing items of interest regarding activities in the works and educational features from further afield. These were accompanied by drawings, watercolours and early photographs. They were circulated round the works monthly and were eventually bound into 5 volumes. Until 2013 these were still in the Wainwright’s family ownership when Rosemary Taylor, a local historian, located them and they are now housed in the Rylands Library in Manchester.

Full lead article here

View a selection of articles concerning Strines

To view Illustrations

To view journal in full


Marple Local History Society would like to thank Mark Whittaker for his indispensable help and contribution in designing and setting up this website, which he continues to host on behalf of the Society.

About the Society

The Society was formed in 1961, following almost a decade of interest in local history matters. Originally called The Marple Antiquarian Society, it changed its name to The Marple Local History Society in 1990. The Society is a Registered Charity, 500099.

Monthly meetings are held between September and April, several field trips are made each year. The society publishes a range of publications, has an active archive session on Thursday mornings, and organises occasional exhibitions.

Latest additions to the site